About Me

My photo
I am a second year teacher and loving every minute of it! I have the most adorable and hilarious kiddos. They keep me entertained and I just hope they're learning as much from me as I am from them.
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Math, Reading, and Contraction Surgery

I've tried so hard to beat the winter blues, by doing a lot of fun activities to motivate the kids since we've been back from Christmas break.  I've managed to take a few pictures, so enjoy!
We are now studying the relation between addition and subtraction.  My firsties were practicing their addition and subtraction skills by playing this missing addend matching game.
YAY! We got a match!

In reading this week our skill was comparing and contrasting.  We read Miss Nelson is Missing and then compared/contrasted Miss Nelson's class with our class.  I couldn't help but chuckle when they were describing our class (follows directions, listens to the teacher, etc.)...HAHA, love these kids!


And now contraction surgery!  I saw this cute little idea on Pinterest, and let me just say...these kids had a BLAST doing this!  I wish I had video taped this lesson to just be able to listen to the dialogue from these kids pretending to be "word doctors."  Too stinking cute!!!
 First we had to put on our gloves!

  Then we had to add the masks!
 Then each firstie got their own "patients"
and TA-DA!!! we have a contraction!  I can't wait to do this again next year - love, love, love it!

2 comments:

  1. Logan "I had the word couldn't and I made a contraction with a bandaid. It was so much fun!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contraction surgery is so much fun! We made contraction crocodiles and ate crocodile pie. My Firsties loved it. =)

    I am having trouble trying to follow you but I'll stop by again. If you get the chance, I'd love for you to hop over and visit me. I have TONS of back to school and monster *freebies* that I am going to use with my Firsties. You can also see the Hug your Heart jar that I shared today. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete